Take a look at what Melanie at A Beautiful Bite did with this green-skinned, fleshy, pear-shaped, delicious, fruit known as the avocado.
The avocado or the alligator pear as it is sometimes called, originated in the state of Puebla, Mexico and although many varieties are grown, the Hass avocado is today the most common, producing fruit year-round and accounting for 80% of cultivated avocados in the world.
It has a smooth and creamy texture, with a rich and distinctly yet subtly flavor. It’s used in both savory and sweet dishes and are very popular in vegetarian cuisine and as a substitute for meats in sandwiches and salads because of its high fat content. They are generally served raw, but can be cooked for a short time without becoming bitter. It’s used as the base for the very popular Mexican dip, guacamole, as well as a spread on corn tortillas or toast. Check out these scrumptious looking bite-sized fiesta fritters that Melanie fried up into a crispy golden ball… did I say fried up, umm!!!!
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1¾ cup cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 6 oz cheddar cheese, diced
- 1 cup roasted corn kernels (I just grilled mine)
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced (more or less to taste)
- 4 Tbsp cilantro, chopped (more or less to taste)
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2 avocados, mashed
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pour 2″ of vegetable oil into a deep fryer or a heavy skillet and heat to 350º.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine. Add eggs, milk, cheese, corn, onion, peppers and cilantro. Stir to incorporate. Gently fold in avocados.
- Scoop batter into heaping teaspoons and gently drop into oil. They are done cooking when golden brown. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in a 200º oven.
- Prepare dipping sauce by mixing all ingredients in a bowl. If you want a smooth consistency, give it a whirl for two minutes in a blender or food processor.